The natural girl’s guide to daily weave maintenance
Weaves are fun to wear, especially for naturalistas who are looking for a protective style. But, it can be difficult for beginners to adjust their daily haircare routines to make sure their natural hair and weave stay fly.
Here’s how I maintain my hair:
- Take care of your leave out. Spray your leave out with water or a moisturizing spray — this makes it easier to manage and manipulate the hair since natural hair is more prone to breakage when you try to detangle it dry. Twist your hair and clamp it so it doesn’t get in the way.
- Don’t scratch your scalp! It’s so tempting to scratch your weave, especially if you have long nails. If done too hard, scratching can cause extra scalp irritation. Instead, grab a soft scalp massager, which will relieve itching and increase circulation.
- Add moisture. Make sure your hair stays hydrated and supple by using a lightweight oil. I like using ORS’ Growth Oil, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Start applying the oil on your leave out and edges, and then move to applying the oil between your tracks. Massage the oil in thoroughly and don’t use too much — it will cause major buildup.
- Detangle! Gently detangle your weave, starting from the bottom of the strands and working your way to the top, near the scalp. This is especially important for ladies rocking curly or wavy styles.
- Lay those edges. Grab your gel of choice — I use the G.O.A.T. Eco Styler Gel — and get to laying those edges down. You can use a small brush or toothbrush to help get the job done.
- Wrap it up! At night, wrap your hair with a silk scarf to make sure your edges stay smooth and to help prevent breakage. You can put your hair in a ninja bun to make sure it stays out of the way.
If you’re going to be wearing your weave (or another protective style) for an extended amount of time, then you’ll want to incorporate a clarifying rinse or spray into the routine or learn how to properly wash your hair with your weave in.
You can use:
- Cantu’s Dry Co-Wash Spray
- Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Clarifying Scalp Treatment
- Girl + Hair Sulfate Free Cleanser
- Vernon Francois Scalp Nourishment Spray
- Creme of Nature ACV Rinse
- Camille Rose Water-Based Sweet Ginger Cleansing Rinse
Need some help with how to wash your hair while wearing a weave or wig? Check out the video below:
What are your tips for slaying a weave? Share them with me in the comments!