Ask The Expert
Ask The Expert: How Do I Create The Perfect Haircare Regimen?
Q: There are so many hair care products available that it can be hard to create a regimen perfect for my individual hair needs. What should I consider when creating a regimen? What must-have product types should I include?
Vernon François: When you’re looking for a regimen that’s going to be really productive, and you’re going to get greatness from it in terms of how your hair responds to it, there are several things to pay attention to:
- Your diet. Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water, and make sure that if you’re not using hair oils, that you’re putting oils into your body, such as taking fish oil or eating avocado.
- Your nighttime haircare routine. Your sleeping regime is really important, especially for ladies who have thicker, curlier hair types. Sleep with a silk (or satin) pillowcase or wrap your hair with a silk scarf to help prevent split ends, keep your hair moisturized and help retain shine.
- Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair. Microfiber helps to absorb the moisture without taking too much [moisture] out and without ripping the shafts of your hair.
- Find brands that work with your hair type, and mix and play with those. It’s really important that within any brand to use one of their shampoos [from one collection] and use a conditioner from the same brand, but from a different collection. That will balance it out a little bit because sometimes being too consistent doesn’t work well for all your hair’s needs. I find it really hard to find someone with really thick, long hair that hasn’t been color processed. So, for example, you want something to keep your hair soft but protect it from the coloring process. You have to find a balance.
- Finger comb and detangle. Use your fingers and be a bit more patient.
- Use a good serum. A good serum works for everyone! It helps to protect your hair from environmental and heat damage.
About the expert: Internationally acclaimed, award-winning hair stylist, Vernon François, has brought his passion and creative flair for hairdressing from his hometown of Huddersfield in northern England, to the global stage.
Vernon is empowering a generation of people with textured hair – through his outstanding range of products, plus knowledge sharing – with the confidence to embrace their genetic gift. He educates, encourages and supports women, men and kids, everywhere, on their hair journey.
Learn more about Vernon and his new haircare line here.