Hair Envy: @jadejanelle
Name: Jade Janelle Lewis
Hometown: Kingston, Jamaica
Residence: Toronto, Canada
How long have you been living The Cut Life? I have been natural for 9 yrs but did my life-changing BC in March, 2015. I just woke up one day and decided that I was doing it. Went to the barber the same day and have never looked back! (Click this link to take a look at how Jade Janelle maintains her fly cut!)
What are your go-to hair essentials for maintaining your cut & style? Coconut oil, coconut oil and coconut oil! Seriously, I am a huge fan of coconut products. My top 3 items (that are not coconut oil) are:
- EcoStyler Gel (couldn’t live without this stuff). If I end up somewhere where I just can’t get EcoStyler, my alternate is Gorilla Snot Gel in Galan.
- Samy Curl Constructor Activating Mousse. I don’t have any alternates that I really like – most make my hair flaky and hard.
- Eden Body Works Coconut Shea All Natural Cleansing Co-Wash alternate Aussie Mega Moist Conditioner
- My Favourite Hair Colour: Joico Color Intensity Semi-Permanent (absolutely love them!) There really isn’t a No. 2, I am a huge Joico Color Fan! It delivers what it promises – high intensity colour.
What are your beauty and makeup must have products?
- Primer (because I have oily skin) – best one for me is Becca Evermatte Poreless Priming Perfector
- Foundation – I like Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme in Tobacco but it’s pricey, so my regular everyday is Estee Lauder Double Wear in Amber Honey.
- For my brows – I use liquid waterproof eyeliner (shocking I know!) with and angled MAC 266 brush. Again, because I have oily skin this is the only method is used that’s absolutely waterproof, will not move until you take it off.
- ColorPop Matte Liquid Lipsticks are life! My fav is LAX. I just love liquid lipsticks; I find them easier to work with, without having to deal with the waxiness of many traditional lipsticks.
What is your current occupation and what are your career goals and aspirations? I’m a recent Advertising and Marketing Communications Management graduate and on the job hunt for a creative advertising/branding role. I have been brand manager for an up and coming artiste in the music industry and event host. In addition, I have made a mark on the natural hair and fashion community in Toronto through my work with AfroChic TO as the fashion and marketing manager for Afro Chic 2014 (watch here) , featured panelist at the Canadian Naturalistas Hair Expo 2015 and other events.
What is a hobby or interest that people would be surprised to know you have? I played flag football for several years, and I’m a closet outer space nerd. I love studying about the planets! Neil deGrasse Tyson & Richard Branson, call me! (lol)
What quote or piece of advice do you live by? Believe. It’s as simple as that. Believe.
What would you say to a woman who is thinking about cutting her hair for the first time? If you feel like this is the liberation or change that you need, go for it! Change is beautiful and empowering! Don’t worry too much about it ultimately it’s hair and it will grow back! What’s more important is how you feel about you — you’re ONE of a kind! I love changing my hair often for that very reason and it doesn’t matter how long or short your hair is, what colour you dye it or even how you style it; what’s important is how you FEEL!