Hair Envy: @IAmLeahMariee
Full Name: Leah M Owens
Instagram Handle: @IAmLeahMariee
Hometown: Kenosha, WI
Current city/state: Chicago, IL
1. How long have you been living The Cut Life? — I’ve had short hairstyles ever since I was in high school. One day I just decided that I needed a change, so I cut it all off. Throughout the years I’ve grown it back out and cut it over and over again. I love switching it up and wearing different styles & colors.
2. What are your go-to hair essentials for maintaining your cut & style? — When I wear my hair straight I use one of those small 1/2 inch flat irons to bump my ends and give my middle a bit more body and volume. But when I curl it I use one of those small curling irons & finish it off with your everyday hairspray. To keep my hair smooth & shiny I use a moroccan argan oil by Organix. Its heathy & inexpensive.
3. What are your beauty and makeup must have products? — I’m an eyelash ADDICT lol. I have a super dope eye lash tech named Nita that I go see every 3 weeks. My everyday makeup routine is pretty light. I fill in my brows, a bit of powder & I’m good to go, BUT I’m obsessed with this lip liner called “Coco Loco” by Jordana. I literally wear it everyday, Its also inexpensive and be purchased at any drug store for about $3.
4. What is your current occupation and what are your career goals and aspirations? — I am blessed to say that I am a woman of many talents. I’m a signed model here in Chicago, a featured actress in Spike Lee’s latest movie “Chiraq”. I’m also singer, and recently dropped my first single on iTunes called “Did That”. Along with being a singer I own a business called The Selfie Gods. We sell a product called “The Selfie Moon” which is an LED ring light that attaches to your smart phone, laptop, book etc. (@TheSelfieGods) My ultimate goals are to be signed with a major modeling agency as well as a major record label. My business is growing rapidly and I look forward to branching off and selling new handy products in the future. My aspiration in life is just to be happy, Truly happy with myself, others around me & life itself.
5. What is a hobby or interest that people would be surprised to know you have? — I love to cook, any and everything lol. I honestly don’t do a lot of eating out because I cook almost every night! I also love to sew and I love it so much I actually previewed a custom dress line a few years back. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get back into it but for now it will remain just a hobby.
6. What quote or piece of advice do you live by? — I’ve always took pride in doing things MYSELF. If I want something I’ve always made it happen. You’ll see in my Instagram bio there is a quote that says “A woman with her own is in a league of her own” and I try to live by that everyday. You don’t have to follow people or trends. Do your own thing, figure out what works for you and give it 110% percent.
7. What would you say to a woman who is thinking about cutting her hair for the first time? — I would say go for it; its ONLY hair. I ultimately cut my hair because I realized it doesn’t define who I am. So many women are going short and I LOVE it. At the end of the day do what YOU want and what makes YOU happy. Short hair is beautiful.