|Full Name: Noelani Truespirit Casiano
Instagram Handle: @lani.true
Hometown: The Bronx, New York
Current City/State or Country of Residence: Los Angeles, California
- How long have you been living The Cut Life? — I have been living with my pixie cut for a little over 2 years now. I first chopped my hair off into a pixie when I was 17 years old. I loved it, but being that age, I was influenced by my peers to believe short hair wasn’t attractive. Over the next few years I let it grow back out. When it had finally grown back to just past my shoulders, I started to be reminded why I didn’t enjoy having long hair. My hair type (fine, straight hair) specifically does better with a short cut. I find it easier to manipulate, style and constantly try new things with, which works well with my fashion style that also changes constantly. I cut my hair 2 years ago while working for a salon where I knew I could trust the stylist to cut me a great modern, edgy pixie. I didn’t care anymore if guys felt short hair wasn’t attractive. It was what I wanted for myself and what resonated with me and my creative desires. I took on a ‘take me as I am, or leave me be’ attitude and with that confidence it now doesn’t seem to even matter that I have short hair.
- What are your go-to hair essentials for maintaining your cut & style? — My go to essentials for maintaining my cut & style are Sebastian Potion 9 to occasionally make sure I’m treating my hair after all color treatments. I only bleach with? I’m constantly trying new semi permanent dyes, until I find my holy grail brand of dye. I’ve enjoyed using Manic Panic and Color Brilliance Brights from Sally’s. Lastly, I make sure to always use a heat protectant. The one I currently use is Beyond The Zone Turn Up the Heat.
- What are your beauty and makeup must have products? — Beauty essentials for me would be my SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 masque, Bare Minerals Firming eye treatment eye cream, and Philosophy Purity facial cleanser. Make up must haves are definitely my MAC Cosmetics Fix + spray. My two favorite highlighters, MAC Cosmetics Soft & gentle as well as Becca Opal highlighter. Anastasia Beverly Hills retractable pencils with her brow powder makes my ultimate brow routine complete. My favorite lashes are flutter lashes! Breathtaking quality lashes I live for. I also find myself using Red Cherry and Ardell lashes for my affordable fix! Lip stains from Stila Cosmetics, Dose of Colors, and Anastasia Beverly Hills. MAC Cosmetics lip glass as well as Buxom lip glosses are also a fav.
- What is your current occupation and what are your career goals and aspirations? — I am currently a freelance Make Up Artist, and in time I want to build a platform through beauty and self love that will allow me to hopefully change some people’s lives and leave the world a better place. I see big things in my future, from make up lines and hair products and brand collaborations, to being an influential, digital-media beauty fashion pop culture presence. I want to give back to where I came from, I want to build something to show young girls they can be beautiful and do anything in the world with hard work and relentless ambition. I have a lot of ideas and hope to get to put them all into play one day.
- What is a hobby or interest that people would be surprised to know you have? — Something people would probably be surprised to know I have as a hobby and interest is, collecting crystals. It contributes to some of the most important things to me. Peace, positivity and good vibes. It’s something I’m still learning and a process that I’m enjoying. I’m also constantly reading self improvement books. I think we as young people don’t read enough anymore, it’s the nerd in me. Ha!
- What quote or piece of advice do you live by? — Literally, every day I tell myself, “trust the process”
- What would you say to a woman who is thinking about cutting her hair for the first time? — I’d say If it is your biggest desire deep down, go for it! Don’t let anyone or anything hold you back! It’s hair, it grows back. Promise 😉